Monday, October 22, 2012

Five Favorite Movies That Scared Me

Halloween is just around the corner so I thought I'd put up a list of the five movies that scared me silly. Some of them made me lose sleep and some of them caused me to react by jumping out of my seat and screaming out loud.

Insidious (James Wan, 2010; 66% Tomatometer)

One of the only two movies that made me sleep with the lights on. I was deathly afraid of having an unknown intruder enter my bedroom after I saw Insidious...during the afternoon! The first two acts of the movie is EXTREMELY terrifying in my opinion. What made it so scary for me was how it was framed. Whenever the characters were talking to each other, there was also depth in the background. Maybe an open window or a long hallway, I was always wondering if something might walk past without the character noticing it. That sense of uneasiness is what scared me the most.



Signs (M. Night Shyamalan, 2002; 74% Tomatometer)


The birthday scene in Signs. The first time I saw that part in the movie, I literally jumped out of the couch and yelled at the top of my lungs. I was very terrified by the sight of the thing. Joaquin Phoenix played the reaction perfectly.


Audition (Takashi Miike, 1999; 78% Tomatometer)

If somebody were to ask me what the scariest movie was, this would be it. Audition isn't your typical horror movie where the scares are spread throughout the running time. It's more like a buildup to the ultimate climax. Usually the climax is the most satisfying part of the movie. In Audition, it's actually the most horrifying part. I can never look at the words, "Deeper, deeper" again. It makes me shudder.



Halloween (John Carpenter; 1978; 93% Tomatometer)

Very scary, suspenseful, and Michael Myers is the ultimate boogeyman. The guy creeps me out. In fact, when I'm running at the track and I need motivation to sprint fast, I usually imagine him chasing me from behind.


Paranormal Activity (Oren Peli, 2007; 82% Tomatometer)

The second of the two movies that made me sleep with the lights on. After watching it in theaters and coming straight back home, I was deathly paranoid of my bedroom. The thought of things happening in my bedroom while being asleep scared me. My sense of hearing heightened up and creaking floor noises kept popping up every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment