Saturday, October 20, 2012

Five Favorite Films

Staring a new series on the blog here. The format is taken directly from Rotten Tomatoes. It's my "Five Favorite..." of many things. They could be my five favorite cereals, five favorite movies that take place on an island, or maybe my five favorite items to bring on a road trip. Since I'm studying film production, we'll start the first one off with my favorite films (not necessarily all-time).

In no specific order:

Leon: The Professional (Luc Besson, 1994; 79% Tomatometer)

If it weren't for Leon, I wouldn't have been a big fan of movies. I remember browsing on a forum back in 2004/2005 and found out that Best Buy was having a "Buy One Get One Free" sale on special edition DVDs. Somebody made a topic on what movies to pick up from the sale and when I looked into the titles, Leon: The Professional stood out. My mother took me to the store and we bought Leon and Black Hawk Down. Since then, Leon: The Professional has remained as my favorite movie of all time. The performances are amazing and I love the kinetic energy from the cinematography.



Rocky (John G. Avildsen, 1976; 91% Tomatometer)

Rocky was the movie that motivated me to get my ass off the couch and lift weights. It's a really inspiring movie that says if you give it your best shot, anything could happen. A true underdog movie that many people can relate to.





Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994; 71% Tomatometer)

The first time I saw this movie was in high school. That was in the summer of 2007 I believe. The semester was almost over so we had some free time to kill. Our teacher brought in Forrest Gump and after the movie was over, I was completely blown away by the amount of storytelling contained in a little over two hours. We were witnessing one man's life over a period of time and he experiences so many things.



Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011; 93% Tomatometer)

I am super obsessed with Drive. I've seen it six times on the big screen, I have a replica of the scorpion jacket that Ryan Gosling wears in the movie, I own a couple limited edition posters (worth more than $300 each), I have the gloves, a keychain, some tin box, and a car charger which all has the "Drive" logo on them. I have a few Drive one sheet posters, the soundtrack, a postcard, and the Blu-ray (watched many times). I love everything about this film.



Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004; 91% Tomatometer)

Insanely quotable, laugh out loud hilarious, and a bloody good time. It's one of my favorite romantic/horror movies AND it has zombies. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are one of my favorite onscreen pairs and Edgar Wright is an awesome director. Highly recommend this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment